The book is based largely on Prof. Chopra’s research. It provides a comprehensive view of the many publications in the field and is conceived as a reference book. The earthquake analysis of concrete dams remains a challenging topic; the book illustrates the many issues to consider in performing an analysis and presents the theoretical basis necessary to understand and, hopefully, master these issues.
On a Swiss note, Mauvoisin Dam is on the book cover with the indication that “it is perhaps the best instrumented dam in the world”. A whole subchapter is devoted to the motions recorded at Mauvoisin during the Valpelline Earthquake of 31 March, 1996, and their analysis and interpretation.
• Develops procedures for dynamic analysis of two-dimensional and three-dimensional models of concrete dams;
• Identifies system parameters that influence their response;
• Demonstrates the effects of dam–water–foundation interaction on earthquake response;
• Identifies factors that must be included in earthquake analysis of concrete dams;
• Examines design earthquakes as defined by various regulatory bodies and organizations;
• Presents modern methods for establishing design spectra and selecting ground motions;
• Illustrates application of dynamic analysis procedures to the design of new dams and safety evaluation of existing dams.